- 3 tbs butter
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Leaves from 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 large box organic vegetable stock
- 1 bottle clam juice
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans chopped clams
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Parmesan Oyster Crackers, recipe follows
Heat butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion, celery, garlic, and thyme and cook until the bacon renders its fat and the vegetables are good and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Dust the vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the broth, clam juice and bring to a boil. Add the cream,milk and the potatoes, bring to a boil and boil hard for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes break down a little. Add the chopped clams and season with salt and pepper.
Now add the 16 clams in their shells. Cover and simmer to open the clams, about 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve hot, with crackers.
Parmesan Oyster Crackers
2 cups oyster crackers
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 c olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/4 c shredded parm
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Toss all ingredients together and bake until golden and cripsy - 25-35 mins.
Stay tuned for the remaining entries!