Saturday, April 10, 2010

Steak with Green Beans, Mushrooms, Onions, and...

Steak has always intimidated me. My dad, and everyone else in my family for that matter, grills it perfectly. When I started cooking a bit I always avoided steak because it always came out dry. Then we figured it out. We were cooking it too long. Imagine.
Also, we were buying the cheaper cuts and I wasn't marinating it, or preparing it in any way. Chewy steak, blah. Now I think we have it down, at least better. And since we come from a family of beef eaters it makes sense to know what your doing.
So thanks to Scott's lovely Aunt Sue who sends us a box full of great steaks for Christmas every year. The best present. These were the filet mignon. (Luckily, they were perfectly done, no second chances!)
As I was cutting the onion for the veggies I realized I had way too much so another side dish was born....


The only thing that could possibly make filet mignon better? Garlic, onion, jalapeno, and cheese fries, of course!
So sub in whichever cut of meat you would like, season it, and find the correct cooking times and mangia!

Veg Fry
Handful of blanched green beans per person
Med onion sliced
1 can of stir fry mushrooms
splash of olive oil
salt and pepper
pinch of garlic powder
Saute onion for a couple of min and add blanched green beans and mushrooms, just cook until heated through and season. I made them in the pan that we cooked the steak with for a little extra flavor

Cheese Fries
Bake the desired amount of fries according to the package
Dice 2 cloves of garlic very fine
Dice 1 small onion very fine
Dice 1/2 pickled or fresh jalapeno
mixture of mozz and cheddar cheeses shredded

Layer toppings through already baked fries and put in oven with broil setting for a few min just as cheese is melting and you can smell the garlic.



No comments:

Post a Comment