Sunday, April 4, 2010

Meatball Soup

My mom has a few posts in the pipeline, one of which is her homemade chicken noodle soup. I'll never pretend I make soup as well as my mom, grandmother or grandfather. We do try, however, to make soup frequently. Rich's clam chowder is soooo good. I tried to convice him into posting it. It obviously hasn't worked yet. ;( This meatball soup recipe is one that we ate variations of throughout our childhood and I have to say it was my favorite (next to the chicken noodle).

I've only made homemade broth a few times and hope to make more in the future (Tracey makes amazing turkey broth each year after Thanksgiving...Trac - I think you should schedule a post for this in 2010!). I've found the organic, low-sodium brands to be flavorful and a viable substitute.

Mangia~
Lora

Meatballs: Prepare your favorite meatball recipe (or purchase ground, sweet sausage) and roll into tiny meatballs. Saute in olive oil in a single layer until browned.

While meatballs are browning:
In a soup pot: Saute 1 med onion, three stalks celery, 3 carrots - chopped in drizzle of olive oil until soft.
Add 6 cups broth, bring to a low boil and lower to a simmer. Add favorite veggies (I had fresh green beans, diced tomatoes, fresh spinach). Add cooked meatballs and simmer until veggies are desired doneness. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add some of your favorite pasta (I cook the pasta separately so that the pasta doesn't become soggy in the soup - trick my mom taught me). Vi likes the mini-bow ties because they look like Hello Kitty's hair accessory. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment