Monday, October 17, 2011

Perfect Pancakes



I'm on the verge of making an executive decision.

I think I'm going to change the name of this blog to: Lora's Eats.

I've been abandoned by my co-pilot. My co-anchor. My sister with whom I shared the womb.

The womb, people!

OK, I'm over it. I've just covered my emotions with a pancake.

They make everything better, don't they?

So, about a year ago I went on the hunt for the perfect pancake recipe (yes, sorry I've been holding out on you for that long!). I was tired of the mixes I had tried and all the recipes I had come across.

Then, it happened. Jessica posted her favorite recipe on Facebook and it was everything I wanted; full of flavor (without needing a ton of toppings or syrup), light, fluffy and tender.

This is the basic recipe, and then below it I've shared a spin I put on it this past weekend (pictured above). We've been trying to eat more healthy around here. I think these pancakes hit the mark. Even though, pancakes could never be considered "health food", I felt better that I at least attempted to make them healthier. If you come up with any good variations, please share! I think I'm going to use pumpkin puree instead of the cider next time (and add a bit more almond milk).

Mangia~
Lora

Good Old Fashioned Pancakes (their words, not mine)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl and set aside to cool.

Whisk together dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls, then fold the wet into the dry - just enough to incorporate the two. Do not over mix or the pancakes will not be tender.

Cook pancakes (duh) using your preferred method and serve with pure maple syrup.

Apple Cider Pancakes

1 1/2 cups white wheat flour (I use King Arthur's)
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup apple cider
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (for added protein, to offset all the sugar in the cider - and add a zingy flavor)
1/4 almond milk (if you don't usually buy it, it's great for baking. Or anything but skim can be used)
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted & cooled

Same instructions as above.

Serve with roasted pecans, walnuts or almonds & pure maple syrup.

Original recipe found at All Recipes.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment